matlab incompatibility ?

From: Muzaffer Kal
Subject: matlab incompatibility ?
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 21:07:00 -0700

hi,
I have a small matlab program with which I am having some problems. One was
a bogus problem which resulted from using DOS formatted text files (cr-lf vs
lf only (or cr only ?) in unix). When I saved all my .m files in unix mode,
it went away. I am still seeing another problem though. The program is
calling a function wich returns a vector as follows:
octave:1> ap = apflat2(5,.5);
octave:2> ap
ap =
        1.31234
        etc.

then it saves a certain run in an array of vectors
octave:3>apvec(i, :) = ap;
at this point I get the following error:
error: A(I,J) = X; X must be a scalar or the number of elements in I must
match the number of rows in X etc.

I don't know much matlab but the code looks like it is trying to save the
vector ap in apvec with some auto-allocation. Is this true ? Does octave
support the same thing ? Do I have to pre-allocate the apvec for this to
work in octave  ? How do I do that ?

thanks,

Muzaffer