format compact ?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: format compact ?
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 23:25:19 -0500 (CDT)

On  1-Sep-1998, Muzaffer Kal <address@hidden> wrote:

| I am trying to run some matlab files about fractional delay filters and I am
| having some difficulty. I built and installed 2.0.13 and it seems to work
| but when I run the matlab file, I get an error on the following line in the
| .m file
|
| format compact
|
| 'rror: format: unrecognized format state 'compact
| error: evaluating indexexpression near line 101, column 1

I have no idea why this would fail on your system (whatever it might
be) if you are using 2.0.13.  It works for me.

| If I comment it out, here is what I get:
|
| the line in question is this:
|       apvec(i,:)= ap;
|
| the error is
| error: A(I, J) = X: X must be a scalar or the number of elements in I .....

Commenting out the format compact statement shouldn't have any effect
on this.  To debug this problem requires more information.  What are
the sizes of apvec and ap, and what is the value of i in that
statemnt?  What is the value of the built-in variable
do_fortran_indexing?  (If it is nonzero, the patch at
http://www.che.wisc.edu/octave/mailing-lists/bug-octave/1998/324 might
help, but I don't really have enough information, so I'm just
guessing.)

jwe