eval and suppressed output

From: David D. Clark
Subject: eval and suppressed output
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 21:07:51 -0600 (MDT)

I have a matrix of data, (mxn)[], which I want to reference with a name
stored in a string, stringname="stringvalue", and store the value of the
matrix in a regular variable called data.

data=eval(stringname)

I want to suppress all output of this operation.  Putting a semicolon at
the end of the entire statement suppresses the output data=(mxn)[], but the
output stringvalue=(mxn)[] is not suppressed.  Putting a semicolon after
stringname results in a parse error.

octave> data=eval(stringname;);
parse error:

>>> data=eval(stringname;);
                        ^
Could somebody please point me in the right direction for suppressing all
output of this statement.

Thanks,

Dave

David D. Clark
Graduate Research Assistant, Biophysics Group, P-21
MS D454
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Los Alamos, NM 87545
Phone (505)667-4147 Fax (505)665-4507