Re: vectors

From: Mario Storti
Subject: Re: vectors
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 12:49:24 -0300

> Hi!
> I have a small problem.
> A=randn(10,3);
> B=randn(10,3);
> I want to calculate cross(A,B), ie. cross(A(k,:),B(k,:)), k=1..10

> This does not work with the ordinary cross product. I want to solve this
> problem without loops etc, any sugestion?

> /Peter Waller

I faced the same problem several times. I coded this

function c=cross(a,b)

  ## CROSS returns the cross (vectorial) product of two vectors
  ##          c=pvec(a,b) ==> c = a x b
  ##

  c=zeros(size(a));
  c(:,1)=a(:,2).*b(:,3)-a(:,3).*b(:,2);

endfunction

I should add some day a trivial error checking, etc...

Also I had to write a series of functions in order to solve a large
number of small linear systems. For instance, say 10000 systems of
3x3. This arises in finite element analysis in order to avoid loops over
elements or gauss points.

Regards,

Mario