Q: how to gprof .oct files?!

From: Dennis Decoste
Subject: Q: how to gprof .oct files?!
Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 09:14:31 -0700

 [Sorry for this resend .  I noticed that Netscape mailer
  formatted my previous message to be almost unreadable.]

 Fellow *.oct users/developers:

 In short form: does anyone know how to interactively
 profile (e.g. gprof) .oct code (e.g. some sort of
 reset/start/stop/dump functionality) from the Octave prompt?!

 In longer form:

 Compiling,/loading/reloading *.oct dynamic files is working
 GREAT for me (Octave 2.0.11, Solaris 2.5.). Using MATWRAP, I've
 been quickly building nice C++ libs that are easily accessible
 from both OCTAVE (oct) and MATLAB (mex).  [If you haven't
 checked out MATWRAP (http://www.klab.caltech.edu/~holt/matwrap/)
 yet, you're really missing out!] It's really all quite nice ...
 (much thanks to both John Eaton and Gary Holt!!...)

 HOWEVER, I really want to use profiling tools such as gprof
 to help me find bottlenecks in my oct code.  As you can imagine,
 compiling the oct files with gprof prep flags to CC (e.g. -pg)
 does not directly work, since that seems to assume that you are
 compiling the main() as well (which is the Octave main() here),
 and it doesn't dump the gprof stats (e.g. gmon.out file) until
 _exit() is called.  Compiling my oct files into new Octave
 statics (e.g. recompiling Octave to include my oct code) isn't
 an acceptable solution, since I REALLY want to start, stop, and
 examine profiling data interactively ...

 What I want, and am guessing some has already done by now, is
 some simple *.oct wrapper code to access some START, STOP, and
 DUMP functionality to some good profiler package, such as gprof.
 In lieu of that, I need pointers to the right profiler (or
 documentation) so that I can develop these functions myself.

 Of course, this is essentially a general question, which applies
 to profiling MATLAB mex files and general dynamic loading
 libaries (like Solaris *.so files).  But I haven't found anyone
 who's actually done such a thing in any context, and I've
 checked the obvious spots, such as the dejanews archives and
 gprof mans.  I'm hoping and thinking that, once again, the
 Octave community is more likely to be pushing the envelope! ...

 Thanks for any advice or pointers.  If I can figure out a
 workable approach here, I will happily develop and contribute
 C/OCT code for the desired functions (e.g. gprof_start.m,
 gprof_stop.m, gprof_dump.m, gprof_reset.m), as well as any
 needed patches to mkoctfile to enable oct file compilation that
 supports this (e.g. a "-gprof" flag to mkoctfile).

 Technical note: I *have* tried to use the (Solaris specific?)
 man3c/monitor interface to profil.  My attempts to call monitor()
 with proper args (e.g. PC numbers based on _end) have failed to
 date.  Tips/warnings on whether that approach is doable or a
 too-complex/wrong route would also be useful ...

 Thanks!

-- Dennis

*     Dr. Dennis DeCoste,  Technical Group Leader                   *
*  Monitoring & Diagnosis Technology Group, Artificial Intelligence *
*  Jet Propulsion Laboratory / CalTech  address@hidden  *
*  http://www-aig.jpl.nasa.gov/home/decoste/                        *