Re: More on API for Octave

From: Bryce Gardner
Subject: Re: More on API for Octave
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 18:08:23 -0400 (EDT)

> Even after I get diarrhea of the -l options to gcc (-lf2c -loctave
> -lcruft -lOctaveReadline -lncurses ...) I get stuck with
> unresolved symbols -- symbols that seem to already be in -l'd
> libraries.

If you think you have all the symbols the libraries could be in the
wrong order.  The easiest way to check this is to list all of your
libraries twice (-lf2c -loctave ... -lf2c -loctave ...).
This will get rid of the unresolved symbols that are already in the -l'd
libraries.  The ordering rule is that no library should use a function
in a library in a library that is before it in the list.  (if you can
follow that!)  Some times you have to list libraries twice to get rid
of circular dependancies. gcc does this itself.

Bryce