octaverc directory initialization and plot

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: octaverc directory initialization and plot
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 14:52:39 -0500 (CDT)

On 22-Apr-1998, Lance McBride <address@hidden> wrote:

| I've set up my initialization file to start up in a data directory, so I can
| run project files, and for some reason, the plot command will not work (the
| command is issued but no plot window appears).  If I issue a replot command,
| the window shows up, but no data appears in the plot window.
|
| For reference, octave is installed in:
| c:\octave (i.e. standard installation)
|
| Here are the desired contents of my octaverc file:
| gnuplot_binary = "gnuplot -stdin"
| cd //d/documents/octave
|
| Here are the contents of the project file (test.m), located in the directory
| d:\documents\octave, that I used to test the functonality:
| t=0:.05:10;
| y=sin(t);
| plot(t,y);
|
| This is totally related to the cd command when switching to another
| partition.  It fails if I use the same cd command in the initialization
| file, and it fails if I type it in manually at the octave command prompt.
|
| If I copy test.m to c:\octave\bin\documents\octave and change "cd
| //d/documents/octave" to "documents/octave", test.m works fine.  This is a
| fair problem, since our network backup only backs up my d: partition.

I think the solution to this problem is to mount your d: partition so
that you can access it without having to use d:\ or //d.  For example,

  cd /
  mkdir /D_DRIVE
  mount d: /D_DRIVE

(you can use whatever name you prefer instead of D_DRIVE, of course).
See also the gnu-win32 FAQ available from http://www.cygnus.com/gnu-win32.

jwe