plot with multiple axis

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: plot with multiple axis
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 15:27:49 -0500 (CDT)

On 14-Apr-1998, Steven N Harp <address@hidden> wrote:

| I am trying to create plots with either multiple x or y axis. I can do
| it in pure gnuplot, but have not been able to do it in octave.
|
| In gnuplot
|
| set ytics nomirror
| set y2tics
| plot x, x*x axis x1y2
|
| and this gives me the plot I want
|
| in octave
|
| x = -10:10;
| gset ytics nomirror
| gset xrange[-10:10]
| gset yrange [-10:10]
| plot(x,x,'b')
| hold on
| gset y2tics
| gset x2range[-10:10]
| gset y2range [0:100]
| plot(x,x.^2,'r')
| replot
|
| hold off

| This gets me close, however the yaxis and/or scale is not changed so
| while the tic marks are correct the plot is not. I would appreciate
| any pointers or sugggestions.

If I use an equivalent set of commands directly with gnuplot, I also
get an incorrect plot.  Here are the commands I used in gnuplot:

  set ytics nomirror
  set xrange [-10:10]
  set yrange [-10:10]
  plot x
  set y2tics
  set x2range [-10:10]
  set y2range [0:100]
  replot x**2

and here is the plot it produces:

    10 ++---------------+-----#----------+---------#-----+---------------**100
       +                +      #         +        #      +       x ****** +
       |                       #                  #           x**2 ***### |
       |                       #                  #            ****       |
       |                        #                #          ***          ++80
     5 ++                        #              #        ***              |
       |                         #              #     ***                 |
       |                          ##          ##  ****                    |
       |                           #          #****                      ++60
       |                            ##      ***                           |
     0 ++                            ####****                             |
       |                             ****                                 |
       |                           ***                                    |
       |                       ****                                      ++40
       |                    ****                                          |
       |                 ***                                              |
    -5 ++             ***                                                 |
       |           ***                                                   ++20
       |       ****                                                       |
      -10              -5                0               5               10

which I'd guess is not what you want.  I'm using gnuplot 3.6beta340.
What version of gnuplot are you using, and what commands give you the
plot you want?  If this is a gnuplot bug (and it looks as though it
is) would someone please report it?

Thanks,

jwe