Segmentation fault under Linux

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Segmentation fault under Linux
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 23:10:44 -0600 (CST)

On 31-Mar-1998, John Meijer <address@hidden> wrote:

| This is probably a FAQ, but here is a record of octave failing on my
| Linux 2.0.30 system:
|
| octave:1> b = rand ( 1, 2 )
| b =
|   0.41845  0.21296
| octave:2> a = [ 1; 2; 3 ]
| error: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
| error: attempted clean up apparently failed -- aborting...
| IOT trap/Abort (core dumped)
|
| OK, so I have updated nearly every library to a compatible set, i.e:
| libc-5.4.44            libg++-2.7.2.8
| libstdc++.so.27.14    libm.so.5.0.9
| ld.so-1.9.5            binutils-2.8.1.0.23
| g77-0.5.21            gcc-2.7.2.3
| make-3.75            bison-1.25
| flex-2.5.4a            readline-2.1
| texinfo-3.12         autoconf-2.10.......
|
| Well, you get the picture.  All of these packages should be compatible.

You don't say what version of Octave you have, or how it was
compiled.

For what it's worth, I build Octave all the time on a system running
Linux 2.0.33 using both gcc 2.7.2 and sometimes egcs 1.0.x and I don't
see problems like this.

The best way to submit a bug report for Octave is to use the
octave-bug script.  It provides a template that helps to ensure that
no important information is left out.

Thanks,

jwe