Re: MatLab-5 .mat file: Octave fails to read

From: John D. Jegla
Subject: Re: MatLab-5 .mat file: Octave fails to read
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 07:35:36 -0800

Hi all.

This problem is killing me too.  I always forget to type "save -v4" in
Matlab, so then Octave can't read the files.

The ftp directory
ftp://ftp://ftp.mathworks.com/pub/tech-support/library/matlab5/extern/
and its subdirs seem to have the header files required to build
Matlab 5.x MAT files.  Not being much of a c/c++ programmer, I don't
know if this information is sufficient or not.  There are also lots
of architecture-dependent libraries for reading and writing MAT files
as well...

Note that "save whatever -v4" is a somewhat viable work-around.  It
has some limitations, however, related to new features in Matlab 5.x:
you can't have multidimensional arrays or structures in a v4 file, and
the data must be all double-precision (which kills me, because I store
most of my data as single byte to save space).

-John Jegla

--
| John D. Jegla       | E-mail: address@hidden |