need help for installation

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: need help for installation
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 14:35:57 -0500

On  6-Oct-1997, Francis Courtois <address@hidden> wrote:

| I 've just downloaded Octave 2.09 (source version) for my Linux -
| Pentium 200 - RedHat 4.2.
|
| I made all the installation process as root.
|
| The problem now is that I can't launch octave if I am not root:

Does it work if you are root?  If so, I've got no clues for that
problem, since as far as I know, the installation procedure should be
independent of who ran make install (I believe all the permissions are
set explicitlly by the install commands -- please correct me if that's
not the case).

| address@hidden octave]$ ./octave
| Octave, version 2.0.9 (i586-pc-linux-gnu).
| Copyright (C) 1996, 1997 John W. Eaton.
| This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
| For details, type `warranty'.
|
| error: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
| error: attempted clean up apparently failed -- aborting...
| IOT trap/Abort
| address@hidden octave]$
|
| What should I do ?

You can try the following patch for aclocal.m4.  After applying it,
you'll need to run autoconf, autoheader, configure, and make again.
Your line numbers will surely be different.

If you don't feel like doing all that work, then I'd suggest you get a
statically linked binary from ftp.che.wisc.edu in the directory
/pub/octave/BINARIES/2.0.9.

*** aclocal.m4  Tue Jul  8 17:54:17 1997
--- /home/jwe/src/octave-2.0/aclocal.m4 Thu Oct  2 01:55:41 1997
***************
*** 237,243 ****
            fi
          fi
        ;;
!       -lang*)
          arg=
        ;;
        -[lLR])
--- 153,159 ----
            fi
          fi
        ;;
!       -lang* | -lcrt0.o | -lc | -lgcc)
          arg=
        ;;
        -[lLR])
***************