Re: Octave RPM packages, where?

From: Michele Marziani
Subject: Re: Octave RPM packages, where?
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 15:47:56 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> Sorry, can't help with RedHat ... but I have been releasing Debian packages
> of Octave versions 2.0.{5,6,7,8,9}. These are made available through the
> Debian mirrors (please see ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/README.mirrors for a
> list of 78 mirrors worldwide).

I'd like to add that these pre-built Debian packages have always worked
well for my (enhanced)-RedHat Linux installation, once converted to RPM
archives with the "alien" tool.

See ftp://kite.ml.org/pub/code for the latest version of alien or the
.../contrib subtree of any RedHat mirror for older versions.

A few caveats: the success or failure of any pre-compiled binary is
strongly dependent on the combination of libc/libg++ releases that are
installed. My RedHat installation has been enhanced with libc-5.4.23 and
libg++-2.7.2.1 so the above mentioned DEBs are working well (always check
the package dependencies when using alien). As usual, YMMV.

--
 Michele Marziani
 Dipartimento di Fisica, Universita', 44100 Ferrara, ITALY