The readline "()-matching" dance

From: Ted Harding
Subject: The readline "()-matching" dance
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 09:53:22 +0100 (GMT+0100)

Hi Folks,

In octave-2.0.8 (and presumably 2.0.9) when you type in an expression with
(...) and [...], the cursor hops back brieflly to the matching ( or [ when
you type a ) or ].

I can see the use of this (and it has saved me from an error or two),
but since each hop takes about 1 second it "cuts my rhythm" when typing a
long and complex expression, since I have to synchronise with this little
dance; otherwise my visual feedback gets out of phase with my digital
output, leading to cognitive confusion.

Is there any way of either suppressing this, or at any rate speeding it
up?

Thanks, and best wishes,
Ted.                                    (address@hidden)