Re: Compatibility octave-gnuplot

From: Friedrich Leisch
Subject: Re: Compatibility octave-gnuplot
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 11:10:15 +0200

> Thanks for your promising answer. =

> Do you set a special variable to have iso-latin-1 char ?

No, as John (see below) I didn't have to tell octave or gnuplot
anything special about the encoding.

> Which version of Octave do you use ? on which computer ?

Sorry for not including info on OS and octave version .... here we go:

        Octave is version 2.0.8 (i586-pc-linux-gnu)
        Linux is Debian 1.3
        Gnuplot is version 3.5 (pre 3.6) patchlevel beta 328

> On  7-Aug-1997, Michael Chelle <address@hidden> wrote:
> | I think that the problem comes from the core of octave where the
> | character of the command line should be coded with a char and then
> | accept the 7bit-ASCII and not the extended 8bit-ASCII, required for
> | european languages.

> I think readline and Octave handle 8 bit characters ok.  I was able to
> run Friedrich Leisch's example ok with Octave 2.0.8 (uh, I should
> upgrade :-) on a Linux system.

> I didn't have to tell gnuplot (3.6 beta) about the encoding.  It just
> worked.  However, the characters were displayed as

>   \344\366\374

> on the terminal (though each \nnn was actually a single character).

> As an American, I'm afraid I'm too ignorant to know how to fix that,
> and I must also confess that I have no idea how to enter these
> characters using my keyboard!  I copied them from the message to a
> script file and ran that, then recalled them using the history feature
> to force them through readline.

As Austrians we depend on Latin1 characters (German Umlaute), so our
terminals use setup to properly display the characters ... but I think
that has got nothing to do with octave. I can enter special characters
using modifier keys, but again that's a question about keyboard and X
setup, not octave.

Michael: Can you type the Latin1 characters at, let's say, a shell
prompt? In that case you should be able to use them with octave, too.

Best,
Fritz

                        Friedrich  Leisch
Institut für Statistik                      Tel: (+43 1) 58801 4541
Technische Universität Wien                 Fax: (+43 1)  504 14 98
Wiedner Hauptstraße 8-10/1071      address@hidden
A-1040 Wien, Austria             http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/~leisch
     PGP public key http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/~leisch/pgp.key