Re: octave-2.0.8-i386-cygwin32 (b18) binary available

From: Mumit Khan
Subject: Re: octave-2.0.8-i386-cygwin32 (b18) binary available
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 20:42:12 -0500

address@hidden writes:

> 0) It took me a long time to figure out I need to:
>       ln -s /gnuwin32/b18/H-i386-cygwin32/bin /bin
>    (perhaps you should list in the instructions, perhaps it's in the
>     Cygnus instructions already, but I didn't see it.)

Shouldn't have to as long as it's in your path (for both execs and the
cygwin DLL).

> 1) ./install-octave "/Program Files/octave"
>
> will fail quite badly because of the space in the name.  This is a
> problem in jwe script file itself, but perhaps you could find the
> problems and report them to him. (at least put a warning in the
> instructions)

This is a problem with just about *every* Unix'y scripts. Welcome to
the quoting hell when you have embedded spaces in filenames that are
input to shell scripts. Pretty easy to fix, so maybe I'll take a
crack at it when I get some time (and motivation).

>       (The rest of the problems relate to the gnuplot hack.)
>
> 2) If I do "sombrero(20)" then try to go back to "plot([1 2])"
> I get an error message about set noparametric.  This seems
> like it should be easy to fix, no?

This is not win32 specific. Happens on my linux box as well. I do agree
that it should be easy to fix, but not sure where. Either routines like
plot should reset parameters before starting, or routines like mesh
(called with sombrero) should reset parameters before exiting.

> 3) You can't move, resize, or bring to front the gnuplot window.
>     It also doesn't refresh correctly.

known and probably won't be fixed by me! I know nothing about Win32
API, and that's needed to fix this. The reason is that my hack blocks
while reading a command from standard input (unlike an event driven
reader), and hence the standard win32 events are never handled. Anybody
with basic win32 prog knowledge should be able to fix it. Trivial in
Unix (using select), so can't be any harder in win32. A quick search
thru the headers show a function WSAAsyncSelect, and if it is what I
think it is, may be the answer.

> 4) Bringing up gnuplot the first time is really slow.

Yes. I'll investigate this next.

> 5) you need to change the path inside "gnuplot" from ./wgnupl32
>    to wherever you put wgnupl32.exe, else it only runs correctly
>    if your in the same directory as wgnupl32.exe.

Screwup on my part. Put the wrong copy in the distribution. Thanks
for pointing it out.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,
Mumit -- address@hidden