Trouble with Octave under Xemacs

From: Udaya Bhaskar/HNS
Subject: Trouble with Octave under Xemacs
Date: 11 Apr 97 9:11:40 EDT

I am trying to get octave to run under emacs,a s per instructions in the info
files and I am
having some trouble.
I am starting with a binary distribution of octave 2.0.5, compiled for
sun-sparc 4.1.2.
I placed the octave-hlp.el, octave-inf.el and octave-mod.el as well as the
octave-hlp.elc, octave-inf.elc and octave-mod.elc files in the
 XEMACS_HOME/lib/xemacs/site-lisp directory. I byte compiled the *.el files
using the emacs byte-compile.  I got the following warnings during byte
compilation:
-----------------------------------------compiler warnings
start------------------------------
Compiling file
/user/ubhaskar/octave/octave-2.0.5-sparc-sun-sunos4.1.2/emacs/octave-inf.el at
Thu Apr 10 11:31:49 1997
  ** mode-line-process is an obsolete variable; use modeline-process instead.
While compiling inferior-octave-complete:
  ** variable filter bound but not referenced
While compiling inferior-octave-dynamic-list-input-ring:
  ** ring-p is an obsolete function; use ringp instead.
While compiling the end of the data:
  ** the function read-event is not known to be defined.

,
Compiling file
/user/ubhaskar/octave/octave-2.0.5-sparc-sun-sunos4.1.2/emacs/octave-inf.el at
Thu Apr 10 11:34:41 1997
While compiling inferior-octave-complete:
  ** variable filter bound but not referenced
While compiling the end of the data:
  ** the function read-event is not known to be defined.

,
Compiling file
/user/ubhaskar/octave/octave-2.0.5-sparc-sun-sunos4.1.2/emacs/octave-mod.el at
Thu Apr 10 11:35:34 1997
  ** The following functions are not known to be defined:
    event-start, posn-window, mouse-choose-completion,
    listify-key-sequence, read-event

-----------------------------------------compiler warnings
END------------------------------

I went ahead anyway. I placed the following lines in my .emacs file.

       (autoload 'octave-mode "octave-mod" nil t)
       (setq auto-mode-alist
      (cons '("\\.m$" . octave-mode) auto-mode-alist))

       (add-hook 'octave-mode-hook
   (lambda ()
     (abbrev-mode 1)
     (auto-fill-mode 1)
     (if (eq window-system 'x)
         (font-lock-mode 1))))

       (autoload 'run-octave "octave-inf" nil t)

Here is what happens. Octave mode seems to work fine. But when I try to
"run-octave"
sometimes nothing happens. i.e. I never get out of the minibuffer. sometimes a
new window opens
up, but it is empty, with no prompt or response to any octave commands.

Am I doing some thing wrong or overlooking something?
Octave works fine from the shell.
Please help. Thanks
udaya