Problem building loadable .oct on HPUX

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Problem building loadable .oct on HPUX
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 15:19:04 -0600

On  4-Apr-1997, Tom Goles <address@hidden> wrote:

| I've just tried to build my first octave loadable module on HPUX 10.01
| (which supports this type of stuff) but got the following link error when I
| ran mkoctfile:
|
| % mkoctfile ReadFile.C
| Making ReadFile.C.o from ReadFile.C
| Making ReadFile.C.oct from ReadFile.C.o
| collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
| /bin/posix/ld: DP-Relative Code in file
| /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/hppa1.1-hp-hpux10.01/2.7.2.2.f.2/libgcc.a(__main.o)
|
| - Shared Library must be Position-Independent
|
| Any ideas what went wrong here? This message appears to indicate
| that libgcc.a needs to be shared library. Do I need to re-build
| libgcc as shared library?

Did you also use the --enable-lite-kernel option for configure?  Did
that create working .oct files?

It looks like the last line of mkoctfile is wrong.  It should probably
just be

  $CXX -shared -fPIC -o $octfile $objfile

instead of

  $CXX -shared -o $octfile $objfile $LIBFLAGS $RLD_FLAG $OCTAVE_LIBS \
       $FLIBS $LEXLIB $TERMLIBS $LIBS

Can you try this and let me know if it solves the problem?

Thanks,

jwe