WORKS [Re: Octave 2.0.5 under gnu-win32 (aka cygwin32)?]

From: Mumit Khan
Subject: WORKS [Re: Octave 2.0.5 under gnu-win32 (aka cygwin32)?]
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 10:10:58 -0600

"John W. Eaton" <address@hidden> writes:
> On 16-Mar-1997, Mumit Khan <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> | Has anybody actually built octave-2.0.5 under gnu-win32 b17.1 and gotten
> | past Seg faults at startup (well, a bit into startup, in some of the
> | standard string class methods)?
>
> The disk I was using for Windoze 95 failed, so I haven't been able to
> do any more work with the port since somewhere around Octave 1.93 or
> 1.94, I think.  I did have it working to the point of printing the
> prompt and at least inverting a matrix or two.

Couldn't find a copy of pre-2.0 anywhere, so couldn't really test if there
is any difference or not.

> Does gdb provide any useful information about where the crash is
> happening?

No, other than spurious crashes. I have full debugging info in all
of cygwin32, and even that doesn't help.

> Please send any additional information about the crashes that you are
> seeing to address@hidden

Well, found the problem! Any CYGWIN32 program that is linked with
-lkernel32 explicitly on the link line WILL FAIL mysteriously!!!!

Octave configure extracts all the CXXLIBS and FLIBS and then explicitly
links them, and this causes weird bugs in both gnu-win32 and ming32.

Octave now starts up, inverts a few matrices ... any standard test suite
that can run w/out dejagnu installed?

Regards,
Mumit -- address@hidden
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/