Re: Extension to "help"?

From: Mark Odegard
Subject: Re: Extension to "help"?
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 97 18:06:57 CST

> | I'd like to suggest a useful extension to octave's "help".
>
> This was already in the PROJECTS file:
>
>   * As the number of m-files with octave grows perhaps a 'Contents.m'
>     file for each toolbox (directory) would be appropriate so one
>     knows exactly what functions are in a toolbox with a quick look.
>     It would be best to generate information for each function directly
>     from the M-files, so that the information doesn't have to be
>     duplicated, and will remain current if the M-files change.  It
>     would also be best to do as much of this as possible in an M-file,
>     though I wouldn't mind adding some basic support for listing the
>     names of all the directories in the LOADPATH, and the names of all
>     the M-files in a given directory if that is needed.
>
> I've added the following text to this item:
>
>     Also make it possible to recursively search for Contents files:
>
>       help dir        -- Contents from dir
>       help dir//      -- Contents from dir and all its subdirectories
>       help dir1/dir2  -- Contents from dir2 which is under dir1
>
> Thanks,
>
> jwe

I use the following script to extract line(s) from the m-file into
a contents file in a given m-file directory

/bin/rm -f Contents.m
grep -h "^%[A-Z-]" *.m > Contents.m

With, for example, the following file in directory plots

{107} more AAAAAA.m
%Plotting Functions

You, of course, only want to have one line beginning with

%{Capital_Letter}other stuff

Mark Odegard, Potential Fields Coordinator| address@hidden
Unocal Corporation, E & P Technology      | Telno: (281)287-7666
14141 Southwest Freeway                   | Fax:   (281)287-5376
Sugar Land, TX 77478, USA                 | "The Standard Disclaimers!"