Re: extending arrays

From: Dave Comer
Subject: Re: extending arrays
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 21:57:11 -0700

John W. Eaton wrote:

> On 28-Feb-1997, Dave Comer <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> | Can anyone tell me the Octave quivalen of the following (valid)
> | Matlab statement:
> |
> | dydx = [ 1, dydx ];
> |
> | dydx is a 120 x 1 element array. The idea is to add one element to
> | the array. When I execute this in octave I get the following:
> |
> | octave:29> size(dydx)
> | ans =
> |
> |   120    1
> |
> | octave:30> dydx = [1, dydx];
> | error: number of rows must match near line 30, column 12
> | error: evaluating assignment expression near line 30, column 6
>
> Are you sure this is valid in MATLAB?

No, I'm not. I'm reading through "MATLAB for Engineers" by
Biran and Breiner, where the following statement is made (p.44):

"To plot dydx together with y we must add an element; it is dy/dx
calculated at the point x=0, that is d(sin x)/dx at x=0. Type

>>dydx = [ 1, dydx ];"

I'm not sure if the authors are using MATLAB 3.5 or 4.0 as both
are mentioned in the into and no definitive statement is made.
The version isn't relavent, as I can see from your answer. Must be
a mis-print.

Thanks for setting me straight John!

Dave

>  With 4.2c, I get:
>
>   >> a = [1;2]
>
>   a =
>
>        1
>        2
>
>   >> [0,a]
>   ???  All matrices on a row in the bracketed expression must have the
>    same number of rows.
>
>   >> [0;a]
>
>   ans =
>
>        0