Ultrix4.4 and 'strdup'?

From: Kenneth Jacker
Subject: Ultrix4.4 and 'strdup'?
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 97 10:58:52 EST

I have begun installing the 2.0.1 version of 'octave' (with 'f2c') on a
DECstation/Ultrix-4.4 system.  After pre-compiling 'f2c' and running
'configure', I invoked 'gmake' requesting no debug support.

After a few compiles, I received the following messages:

        gcc  -o makedoc makedoc.o clib.o xmalloc.o -ltermcap
        collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
        /usr/lib/cmplrs/cc/ld:
        Undefined:
        strdup

Apparently 'configure' misses the fact that 'strdup' is unavailable.

I made an effort to "work around the problem", but made no progress
after about 30 minutes.  I also checked the mailing list archives, but
found no references to the problem.

Any ideas to help me continue will be most welcome!

Thanks,

-Prof Kenneth H Jacker      Internet:   address@hidden
-Computer Science Dept        Bitnet:   address@hidden
-Appalachian State Univ