plot3() ?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: plot3() ?
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 14:43:10 -0500

On 23-Jul-1996, Jeppe Sigbrandt <address@hidden> wrote:

: Is it possible to do what plot3() does in Matlab ?
:
: e.g. Lorenz demo where a line is drawn in phase space by joining
: up the points represented by  a sequence of xyz co-ordinates.
:
: I've spent  many hours trying to obtain this simple
: behaviour from Gnuplot but the answer has not yet dawned on me.
: And nobody seems to have asked this question in the last 2 years.
: (so it must be easy :)

In gnuplot, all you have to do to plot a line in 3d is

  set parametric
  splot "foo.dat" with lines

where "foo.dat" contains 3 columns of data (x y z).

Blank lines in the data file produce breaks in the line.

An example of this should be in the glass demo that is distributed
with gnuplot.

You should be able to do the same thing with Octave using set
parametric and the gsplot command.

jwe