Re: another question : arrays of functions ???

From: A. S. Hodel
Subject: Re: another question : arrays of functions ???
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 14:01:56 -0500 (CDT)

The blessing and the curse of Octave and Matlab is that the basic data
type is a matrix, a 2x2 array of numbers.  John has already expanded that
somewhat by allowing for structures, and has also included a mode for
dealing with matrices that are string arrays (less convenient than
Matlab perhaps, but it does the job).

A kludgy way to do what you're discussing here would be to create an
array of strings containing function names, and then use eval to
evaluate each one independently, i.e.,

funclist(1,:) = "bessel";
funclist(2,1:5) = "gamma";

for ii-1:n
  x(i) = eval([setstr(funclist(i,:),'(x)']);
endfor

Matlab would require a similar approach, of course without the setstr
function call, which is unique to Octave.

Notice that the name of x must be in a string.

On Thu, 13 Jun 1996, Kay Hamacher wrote:

> Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 19:38:56 +0200 (MET DST)
> From: Kay Hamacher <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: another question : arrays of functions ???
>
> Hello.
>
> There is another question which comes up by thinking
> of a solution for an exercise :
>
> Is there a way to declare arrays of functions ?
>
> I think of the possibilities of Pascal :
> Var a : Array[1..20] Of Function(x:Real) : Real;
>
> and then do callings like
> for i := 1 to 20 Do   b := b + a[i](3);
>
> Kay

> Kay Hamacher             InterNet : address@hidden
> WWW   http://www.wupper.de/sites/lucie/index.html
>
>        WINDOWS : From the people who brought you edlin

A S Hodel Dept Elect Eng 200 Broun Hall, Auburn Univ., AL 36849
(334) 844-1854/fax-1809  http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~scotte