Slow performance on linux - workaround

From: Evan Thomas
Subject: Slow performance on linux - workaround
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 17:50:33 +1000

Some time ago I reported a problem with slow octave performance running
on linux. Further investigation prompted by people on the list showed
that the problem occurred only with the "lsode" function and then not
with all ODEs (for instance linux performed benchmark ODEs as one would
expect).

It appears that the problem is related to checking that function files
haven't been updated on disk. By setting
ignore_function_time_stamp="all" the PC performance is what one would
expect. (This is why my equations were slow and the benchmark ones were
OK. In my case the DEs called some user defined functions.)

The problem is related to the kpathsea functions that look for the file
in the search path. By removing the call to fcn_file_in_path() in the
function symbol_out_of_date() the performance problem also goes away. I
don't why this would be a problem on linux and not on the Sun.

I have not attempted to reproduce the problem in circumstances other
than solving ODEs.

Thanks, Evan.
--
Evan Thomas