Re: Alpha GCC for compiling Octave

From: John Eaton
Subject: Re: Alpha GCC for compiling Octave
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 17:46:54 -0500

address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:

: Octave 1.1.1 should be compiled with GCC 2.6.3.

Yes, you will have trouble if you try to compile 1.1.1 with 2.7.x.
However, there is a patch available via ftp from bevo.che.wisc.edu in
the file /pub/octave/README-GCC-2.7.0 that may help, but it has not
been extensively tested, and it doesn't fix any bugs other than those
directly related to compilation problems with gcc 2.7.0.

: However, GCC 2.7.0 is NOT a beta version in any way!  I've been using
: it since it's release.  I've only found one bug which was in the
: optimizer and was probably in 2.6.3 as well.

I am using 2.7.0 on an Alpha for the current development sources of
Octave.  I haven't noticed too many problems, but some things have had
to change because of changes in C++ as it evolves toward some sort of
standard.  The next Octave release will probably require 2.7.0 or
later.

: You can have mult. versions of gcc running if your not sure about
: the new version.  One controls which version is used with the "-V"
: directive.

If you do this, you have to be careful to get the right version of
libg++.  Instead of relying on the -V option, I have been configuring
gcc and libg++ using a command like

  ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/gnu/gcc/VERSION

(where VERSION is 2.6.3, or 2.7.0, etc.) so that all of the things
related to a given version of gcc are grouped together.  A default
version can be installed by making the necessary symbolic links, and a
specific version can be selected by changing PATH appropriately.

jwe