Re: system(), shell, & stderr.

From: niles
Subject: Re: system(), shell, & stderr.
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 95 17:57:54 -0400

>Octave's system() function is implemented using a class derived from
>the procbuf class in libg++, which implements a popen function.  The
>code to exec the subprocess is
>
>   _IO_execl("/bin/sh", "sh", "-c", command, NULL);
>
>so your command should always be executed as a /bin/sh command,

Ok so it was a dumb question, but what I really want to do is
put a process in the background.
e.g. system("emacs &")

However, I don't get the octave prompt back until I exit emacs.

I noticed system("emacs > /dev/tty &") does work!

I guess this is what one has to do to run a process in the background.

        Thanks and sorry for the dumb question,
        Rick Niles.