Performance: Octave vs. Matlab

From: wkim+
Subject: Performance: Octave vs. Matlab
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 95 14:05:20 -0400

Hi, I'm new to this list.

A few days ago, I got an OS/2 version of octave 1.1 and it was quite
good.  However, after giving a few tests, I found it very slower than
Matlab for Windows.  About 3 times slower on a P90.  I failed to find
a doc that mentioned about performance issue to see if I could boost
Octave's performance.

A free software can be slower or faster than a commercial product,
but 3X slower speed was too big for me to understand.
(I suspect that the OS/2 port might not be optimized when compiling.)
With such slow speed, I doubt I would use octave in a real application.

Maybe I missed something as I don't yet know octave enough.
I want your comments.  Thanks.

// Wonkoo Kim
// address@hidden