Re: octave vs. scilab

From: U-E59264-Osman Buyukisik
Subject: Re: octave vs. scilab
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 95 07:52:47 -0500

I had octave first, and recently got scilab2.0 (there is a later
version 2.1). Scilab seems to be more complete but quite a bit bigger,
and you need +70MB and X11R6 if you want to built it from the
sources. Octave does not have a lot of the bells and whistles of
scilab. But I think scilab may not have the image libs that octave
has. Scilab has pulldown menus etc, and octave is command driven. Both
have hypertext help. Both can do dynamic linking on some systems. Both
are supplied with binaries if you need them. Scilab seems to have the
linear/nonlinear optimization/programming libs that are missing from
octave. Scilab also has a very impressive demo menu (one simulates a
car/truck parking in a rectangular space). Both seem to have similar
capabilities in the ODE/Equation solution arena.

Osman