Re: save/load problem

From: John Eaton
Subject: Re: save/load problem
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 95 15:10:00 CST

address@hidden (Ulf Niemeyer) wrote:

:  It seems to me that loading of data containing NaNs
:  is not possible in ascii mode.

This is a known problem (it's mentioned in the PROJECTS file).

I believe that the correct fix is to modify iovfscanf.c that is
distributed with libg++/libio to handle reading of NaN and
[+|-]Infinity when trying to do floating point conversions.

It would also be possible to work around this problem in Octave, but
it would require changing every instance of reading floating point
values.  I don't think that's a very good solution.

I've looked at the iovfscanf code and tried to fix it, but I'm afraid
I haven't gotten it quite right yet, so I don't have a patch.

Maybe someone could report this as a bug for libg++ (I think it is a
bug because the functions in floatconv.c will write NaN and Infinity,
but the code in iovfscanf.c won't read them back).

Thanks,

jwe