Re: Reading binary data.

From: Vinayak Dutt
Subject: Re: Reading binary data.
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 95 13:47:17 CST

#I'm new to this list so please forgive me for asking a question which
#may have already been covered.  Can Octave read a binary data file?
#The 200 page Octave manual indicates that fread will read binary data
#but that the binary file must first be opened by fopen.  The problem
#is that the manual entry for fopen only allows text files.  I've tried
#playing with fopen and fread in various ways but fread always returns
#a count of zero.  I'm running on a SPARC-10 using the precompiled code
#I downloaded from:
#ftp.che.utexas.edu:/pub/octave/BINARIES/sparc-sun-sunos4.1.2
#  The manual also indicates you can simply give the filename to fread
#rather than the file-id returned from fopen.  I tried that and it still
#gave me count=zero.
#

 i have used fopen() to open a binary file. fopen() should open any type of
file,
not just text file.

you would require octave version 1.1 to read binary files though (using
fread()).

--vinayak-
/*
 * vinayak dutt