Re: Raw file i/o

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: Re: Raw file i/o
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 09:20:47 -0500

There has been some discussion of binary data file formats in octave, with
several people suggesting extensions to handle various binary data types.

I would suggest that instead of inventing yet another scheme for
portable binaries, octave uses some standard method. I would recommend
using the HDF library, which provides architecture-independent binary
data format, plus it allows for self-describing data (it is possible
to store attributes with the data, such as the data topology
(rank/dimensions), units, equations used to generate the data.)

        przemek