Re: OS2 version of octave

From: JUILLARD
Subject: Re: OS2 version of octave
Date: 25 Oct 94 15:13:03+0000

> Date sent:      23 Oct 94 15:33:07-0700
> From:           Steve Warwick <address@hidden>
> Subject:        OS2 version of octave
> To:             address@hidden

> Are there others like myself who would like to see an OS/2
> port of octave?  or, better yet, have performed such a port?
>
> I'd be interested in opinions on the difficulty  -
>
> Ive seen some discussion of dynamically loaded functions, which
> would be a big hit in the OS/2 would too!
>
> thanks
>
> steven warwick
> address@hidden

I am performing a port to DOS, OS/2, using emx+gcc. After some
initial difficulties, I made big progress replacing the info library
with the OS2 port of gnuinfo of K.U. Rommel and the OS2
implementation of readline in E. Mattes GDB.
I built a very simple pager inside Octave itself.
I need the thing to be working in DOS for our class labs, so I set
aside the DLL for the time beeing, compiling a single monster of more
than 2Mb of exe file.
I still have to implement the shell utilities and the piping to
GNUPLOT. It would be easy in OS2 only, but for DOS compatibility,
I need to build a temporary file and then execute GNUPLOT.
By the way, I'm still hesitant on when to trigger GNUPLOT. I guess
that the easier would be to do it on replot only , but that gives a
different meaning to this command.
I could post a binary executable by the end of the week, if you are
interested in being guinea pigs. To put together a distribution file
and document the changes would take me quite a bit more time.
Let me know what you think. I open to any form of collaboration on
this project

Michel Juillard
CEPREMAP
Paris