shell_cmd(.) not working -- Please ..

From: maechler
Subject: shell_cmd(.) not working -- Please ..
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 1994 11:49:30 +0100

The last 2.5 days our local mail server software seems to have been bogous.
I never received any useful hints on my problem report:

SunOS 4.1.2 / 4.1.3
GCC 2.5.8     \
libg++ 2.5.3   \
Make 3.70       > all the newest, just for octave ..
Flex 2.4.6     /

Sun f77 [not the very newest]
-------
PROBLEM:  shell_cmd(..) does not work;  ==>  plot [via gnuplot] fails, too.
-------

Here an example:

sophie{maechler}353% octave
Octave, version 1.0.  Copyright (C) 1992, 1993, 1994 John W. Eaton.
This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
For details, type `warranty'.

octave:1> shell_cmd

usage: shell_cmd (string [, return_output]): execute shell commands

Additional help for builtin functions, operators, and variables
is available in the on-line version of the manual.

Use the command `help -i <topic>' to search the manual index.
octave:2> shell_cmd("finger")
octave:3> shell_cmd("who")
octave:4> shell_cmd("pwd")
octave:5> pwd
ans = /usr/local/etc/octave/octave-1.0

octave:6> quit
sophie{maechler}354%

Would you respond with a CC: to me, since I am not on your list, Please ?

Martin Maechler <address@hidden>                                <><
Seminar fuer Statistik, SOL F5 \\ ETH (Federal Inst. Technology)
8092 Zurich  SWITZERLAND
phone: x-41-1-632-3408
fax  : x-41-1-252-3410