Re: problem installing on SGI

From: John Eaton
Subject: Re: problem installing on SGI
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 94 13:29:44 CST

"Neal S. Holter" <address@hidden> wrote:

:   I am attempting to build octave-1.0 on a SGI 4D/70 machine under
: IRIX 4.0.5.  I have successfully (I think) installed GNU make and
: the latest GNU C++ compiler and libg++.  The make fails on the
: file octave.cc with the errors:
:
: octave.cc: In function `int main(int, char **)':
: octave.cc:523: initialization between incompatible pointer types
: octave.cc:534: incompatible pointer types for argument 2 of
: `void (* signal(int, void (*)(int ...)))(int ...)'
:
: In the file INSTALL.OCTAVE and BUGS, it is stated that on some systems proper
: prototypes and macros need to be added to signal.h.  Is this one of the
: systems with that problem, and if so, what are the changes that need to
: be made.

The SIG_IGN, SIG_DFL, etc. macros are usually the ones that need to be
fixed.  On some systems they end up as

  #define SIG_IGN         (void (*)())1

when they should be something like

  #define SIG_IGN         (void (*)(int))1

to match the prototype for signal.

The gcc fixincludes/fixproto script should probably fix this when gcc
installs its modified set of header files, but I don't think that's
been done yet.

I've modified the manual to be more specific about this.

Thanks,

jwe