help-nano

Re: How to enable nanorc file?

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: How to enable nanorc file?
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 16:24:03 +0200

Op 21-05-2021 om 08:40 schreef Kemal Gençay:
> The begining of nanorc file states that --enable-nanorc should be configured.

That text is in old versions of sample.nanorc (wich many distros install as
/etc/nanorc).  You can ignore it.  It is irrelevant for people who do not
build nano themselves.

> I write .nanorc file with a single line stating --enable-nanorc and get the
> following error when opening nano:
>
> Error in /home/kemal/.nanorc on line 1: Command "--enable-nanorc" not
> understood

The --enable-nanorc is a configure option, not a command-line option,
and not a nanorc option (which all start with 'set' or 'color').

> When I delete .nanorc file from my home directory expecting /etc/nanorc file
> be in effect, to no avail.

Hmm.  It seems you did build nano yourself.  Did you?  If yes, then please
build the latest version of nano (5.7), and pay attention to the last two
lines of output of ./configure.

Also see:  https://nano-editor.org/dist/latest/faq.html#3.9

But best is to ignore /etc/nanorc and just copy it into your ~/.nanorc,
and then edit/remove everything that you don't need.

Benno