help-nano

Re: Select syntax colouring from within Nano?

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: Select syntax colouring from within Nano?
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2020 10:06:14 +0200

Hello Liam,

Op 31-07-2020 om 17:28 schreef Gretton, Liam:
> Firstly, congrats on the new 5.0 release. I really like the scroll bar!

Thanks!  :)

> Is there a way from within Nano to select a syntax colouring mode? I know I
> can
> force it by using -Y when starting the editor, but it would be useful to be
> able
> to do so if I've already opened a file that Nano hasn't recognised.

There is no way to select a syntax from inside nano.  It would require a
whole new menu, plus a keystroke, and maybe even a browser to only show
the available syntaxes...  That is too much.

There is a way to make nano change the used syntax: save the file under
a different name that has an extension that nano recognizes.

When nano does not apply the correct syntax to a file, one could do either:
1) amend the relevant syntax to recognize the type of file you're editing,
2) add or modify the first line so that nano recognizes it,
3) rename the file to have a standard extension.

Benno