Re: Questions about signal handling in GNU Make

From: Masahiro Yamada
Subject: Re: Questions about signal handling in GNU Make
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 22:19:40 +0900

On Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 6:21 AM Kaz Kylheku (gmake)
<729-670-0061@kylheku.com> wrote:

> On 2021-07-23 09:48, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
> > Hi.
> >

> > GNU Make deletes partially updated target files
> > when it is interrupted.
>
> Yes, unless the targets are mentioned in the
> .PRECIOUS: special target.
>
> The description of PRECIOUS leads to the documentation
> section "Interrupting or Killing 'make'" which
> describes the requirements and rationale.
>
> > I am interested in this behavior.
> > I did not look into the source code,
> > but did some experiments to understand how GNU
> > Make behaves.
> >
> > Ctrl-C is a normal way to terminate GNU Make.
>
> Well, not really depending on what we mean by
> "normal". A build usually runs to successful
> or failed completion.

Sorry if it was confusing.

I mean, Ctrl-C is a normal way when
people want to terminate the build
before completion.

> Using Ctrl-C is usual in interactive development,
> so the behavior seen here could be an annoyance
> in the right circumstances.
>
> I don't see this being an issue in CI pipelines.
>
> CI systems that can interrupt builds will typically
> not re-run builds incrementally the same sandbox;
> if an interrupted build is retriggered, it will be
> done from scratch in a fresh sandbox.

CI is not the only way for building.

When people build a project manually,
they want to be able to terminate it by Ctrl-C any time,
and resume 'make' later, and want it to work properly.

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada