Re: why make not give message about target being up-to-date in this VPAT

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: why make not give message about target being up-to-date in this VPATH situation?
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 19:35:41 -0400

On Mon, 2021-05-17 at 13:33 -0800, Britton Kerin wrote:
> Rebuilding an already-up-to-date $(VPATH)/baz using 'make baz'
> doesn't give the usual "is up to date" message, even though the
> recipe is not executed.

I don't know.  Looks like a bug to me.  I'm actually a little surprised
that you don't get an error like "don't know how to build baz" although
I suppose it's due to the VPATH.

Note, using VPATH to find targets is rarely going to work out
correctly.  That's not what they're designed for.  I'm not extremely
surprised to find some dark corners here.