Re: GNU Make on Windows

From: Kaz Kylheku (gmake)
Subject: Re: GNU Make on Windows
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2020 08:56:08 -0700

On 2020-07-31 08:45, Sarah Toth wrote:
Hi there,

I'm trying to install GNU Make on my windows OS because it is a required
dependency of elevation 1.0.6 <https://pypi.org/project/elevation/>.

This project assumes a Unix (possibly even Linux). Look at this statement
on their main page:

"GNU make, curl and unzip come pre-installed with most operating systems"

Obviously, these developers, or whoever they put in charge of writing the content of the project page, are not familiar with proprietary Unix systems
like Solaris or AIX, yet are making a confident statement about "most
operating systems".

Say, are all three programs *pre-installed* on a vanilla install of Mac OS?

By "most operating systems", they probably "most distributions of GNU/Linux".
You know, Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, ...

So based on that, I would brace myself for a cross-platform experience that
involves a lot of DIY.

Currently I have GnuWin32 <https://sourceforge.net/projects/getgnuwin32/>
installed here
C:\Users\stoth\Documents\GetGnuWin32\gnuwin32

However, i still get a "'GNU Make' not found or not usable." error. Any
ideas on what to do?

Since the elevation project seems to assume a Linux environment, your
best bet will be to use Cygwin, whose explicit goal it is to create a
Linux-like environment on Microsoft Windows. Or else, perhaps try
Microsoft's WSL: Windows Subsystem for Linux. That requires Windows 10
or Server 2019.

Or else, contact the elevation project to ask them whether any of the
maintainers, or any users, are working on Windows, and can they share
the details of their setup. That could be a major shortcut toward
productivity.