Re: Command producing several targets at once

From: Britton Kerin
Subject: Re: Command producing several targets at once
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 13:06:37 -0800

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 12:44 PM, Paul Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, 2017-07-26 at 12:31 -0800, Britton Kerin wrote:
>> It's still worth it to avoid non-static pattern rules though IMO.
>
> I use normal pattern rules all the time in all my makefiles.  Love 'em,
> and I see no point in trying to avoid them.

The points in avoiding are: they don't have the same tendency to fire
in unintended circumstances (e.g. on generated code), and when they
do (because you compute the target set wrong), the error messages
are much less misleading.

> YMMV of course, just providing a different viewpoint.

But you're the god of make and not easily confused :)  Unfortunately I
don't have the examples on hand but after confusing myself badly
with misfiring implicit rules a couple of times I decided it was best to
just avoid them in favor of more exact static pattern rules.

Britton