Re: Silent and verbose make

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Silent and verbose make
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 09:34:23 -0500

On Tue, 2016-11-22 at 16:43 -0800, Emmanuel Mayssat wrote:
> Is there something like
> make -s -v
> that would return make to a verbose mode?

-v is already in use, as a shorthand for --version.

I added a new "--no-silent" option to disable "-s".

As an aside I removed all the wording in the manual and man page
suggesting that .SILENT was deprecated or shouldn't be used.  In fact,
.SILENT is extremely useful and I have absolutely no plans to remove it
as a feature... and not just because it's required by POSIX.

I also added (I think David B. was hoping for this?) -E as a short alias
for the --eval option.

All of this will be available in the next release of GNU make.