Re: plea for help in solving parallel make issue for OSv project's AArch

From: Claudio Fontana
Subject: Re: plea for help in solving parallel make issue for OSv project's AArch64 port
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 18:11:36 +0100

On 27 November 2014 at 15:43, Paul Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-11-27 at 14:38 +0100, Claudio Fontana wrote:
>> Forgot to mention it's GNU Make 3.82 on Slackware 14.1 for X86_64
>
> Have you tried using the latest GNU make, 4.1?

I tried that now, and it works. I tested many many times, repeating
the test when the build of libzfs.so was too "close" to the build of
its users.
The first vanilla GNU make alpha release that works is then GNU Make
3.99.90, first stable release GNU Make 4.0

I did a reverse git bisect on GNU make, which involved forking the
bisection at one point, due to another problem having an influence on
the order of the build for libzfs.so.

The main bugfix that puts the build of libzfs.so very early is:

commit fbe5b2c9cd612b962836b9391fa2b58c8baed6fc
Author: Paul Smith <address@hidden>
Date:   Mon Sep 10 02:36:05 2012 +0000

    Force intermediate targets to be considered if their non-intermediate
    parent needs to be remade.  Fixes Savannah bug #30653.

The other bugfix that is also relevant for the libzfs.so build is:

commit b9c4a38022e5238356957bba6c2ffaef7a219a23