Re: a syntax for multitarget rules

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: a syntax for multitarget rules
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 14:33:33 -0500

On Thu, 2014-11-13 at 14:43 +0100, Reinier Post wrote:
> On Mon Nov 10 21:44:33 2014, address@hidden (Nicholas Clark) wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Lately I've been needing to work hard to get around GNU Make's lack of
> > simultaneous multi-target recipes. It seems like it crops up in the world
> > of FPGA/ASIC/chip design, which has all kinds of ill-behaved compilers that
> > produce lots of outputs simultaneously.
>
> I would love to see this.  However, at present, non-pattern rules and
> pattern rules are not consistent in this respect, so  I don't see how
> to come up with a syntax that is a natural extension of the present.

I personally still like the syntax Henning proposed over 10 years ago
(with a little tweak by me: please read the entire thread):

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/make-alpha/2002-12/msg00000.html

There was a prototype patch posted by Henning:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/make-alpha/2003-01/msg00000.html

I doubt it applies cleanly any more, and there's still a good bit of
work (most particularly, we need a set of at least semi-comprehensive
regression/unit tests for the new feature), but it's a starting point.