Re: Target-specific Pattern rule works: Is this a feature?

From: Philip Guenther
Subject: Re: Target-specific Pattern rule works: Is this a feature?
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 09:31:59 -0800

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 8:40 AM, Lutz Kohlrausch <address@hidden> wrote:
> In the Makefiles of a build project here, there is a line with two colons. It
> seems to define what I would call a target-specific pattern rule. I've
> included a simplified example below (see especially line 9).
> I have searched for documentation of this feature as I'd like that we use an
> established feature of Gnu Make and not something that works accidentally and
> might go away in future. But I have not found documentation that says this is
> legal. For example for target-specific variable assignments, such
> documentation exists.

4.12 Static Pattern Rules
=========================

"Static pattern rules" are rules which specify multiple targets and
construct the prerequisite names for each target based on the target
name.  They are more general than ordinary rules with multiple targets
because the targets do not have to have identical prerequisites.  Their
prerequisites must be _analogous_, but not necessarily _identical_.
4.12.1 Syntax of Static Pattern Rules

Here is the syntax of a static pattern rule:

     TARGETS ...: TARGET-PATTERN: PREREQ-PATTERNS ...
             RECIPE