Best method to ask input or check existence of a variable

From: zamek42
Subject: Best method to ask input or check existence of a variable
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 17:50:44 +0200

Hi All,

I would like to make a target to create a new project.
I cannot solve to ask the name of the project in a recipe?

Another possible method, to set the name with a variable, but I cannot check the existence of
the variable because it will be part of all target:

create_project:
ifndef PROJECT_NAME
$(error No project name, please call make with PROJECT_NAME=<projectname>)
endif

all of other target prints this error.

--
thx in advance