Re: make and remote dependencies

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: make and remote dependencies
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:04:04 -0400

On Mon, 2012-04-16 at 14:40 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-04-16 at 02:09 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
>
> >         remote.c: FORCE
> >             wget -O tmp -N http://people.debian.org/~pabs/tmp/remote.c || {
> > rm remote.c; exit 1; }
> >             cmp tmp $@ || cp tmp $@
> >             rm -f tmp
> >         FORCE:;
>
> Wow, I didn't know about the FORCE thing, thanks.

FORCE is just a convention.  The GNU make manual section on .PHONY
discusses the difference between a force rule and a .PHONY rule.

> BTW, wget -O -N explicitly does not work. I've switched to curl due to
> this issue.

I don't know exactly what -N does (the man page says it enables
time-stamping but doesn't give a clear idea of what that means), but I
think you don't want it at all and you should just use -O without -N.