RE: how to use not "also" symbolic link time, but "only"

From: Mark Galeck (CW)
Subject: RE: how to use not "also" symbolic link time, but "only"
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 09:47:08 -0700

>Your question is not very clear (to me).

I just want a way to correctly write a rule for a make target, that is a soft
symlink.  It seems to me there is currently no way to do that.  If I (as I
should) depend on the Makefile, then the target will always rebuild, which is
not correct.

>Obviously you can "touch" the target file ("from")

Of course not I can't :)   A file such as "from" is typically a
version-controlled file, which is read-only, unless I need to change something,
which I clearly don't, then I can check it out and edit it.  Cannot just go
around the filesystem and touch source files because I want to.

What I do want, is for make to create me a symlink, and I want to do it
"correctly" by make standards, that means, rebuild the symlink only when
necessary - when the name of the target changes (change to Makefile), or when
the symlink does not exist.

It seems to me this is a natural thing to do, and it seems to me there is no
way to do it?

Mark