RE: this is embarrasing... prerequisiste gets updated, but make still sa

From: Mark Galeck (CW)
Subject: RE: this is embarrasing... prerequisiste gets updated, but make still says it is older than target
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 05:41:46 -0700

Paul, you can disagree with me, but I believe the manual is grossly misleading
here.  None of what you describe is actually in the manual.

Instead, the manual says first in section 2.3. by way of an example, and then
in Section 4.2:

"After recompiling whichever object files need it, make decides whether to
relink edit. This must be done if the file edit does not exist, or if any of
the object files are newer than it. If an object file was just recompiled, it
is now newer than edit, so edit is relinked."

"A target is out of date if it does not exist or if it is older than any of the
prerequisites (by comparison of last-modification times).       "

The above, clearly suggests, the checking of the timestamp is done after the
updates of the prerequisites.  Not at any other time.

OK, you are saying that is not the case.  Please state clearly exactly when and
how make checks the timestamps of prerequisites of the target of a rule, for
the purpose of deciding whether to update the target.

Thank you,

Mark