Re: Need ways to make Makefiles more foolproof

From: Bo Johansson
Subject: Re: Need ways to make Makefiles more foolproof
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 11:29:11 +0100

-----Ursprungligt meddelande----- From: Michael Ludwig
Sent: Sunday, March 18, 2012 9:44 AM
To: address@hidden

Bo, precisely the same thing with Makefile.PL / ExtUtils::MakeMaker has
annoyed me just like it annoyed you. I recently asked on StackOverflow
about GNU Make support on Windows in EU::MM. The answer is that there is
no such support, which I found amazing as GNU Make is, I think, the most
popular Make program.

ExtUtils::MakeMaker and supported MAKE programs on Windows
http://stackoverflow.com/q/9454961/269126

I supplied a doc patch, which is still in the queue:

clarified MAKE nebula
https://github.com/Perl-Toolchain-Gang/ExtUtils-MakeMaker/pull/27

Very good!

An error message (in the makefile generated by "perl Makefile.PL")
telling me that I was using the wrong make program had saved me some
work.

Yes, I agree, that would be a useful addition to EU::MM. Is that what
you're working towards?

Yes, and I am still looking for a good solution.
My knowledge in the different variant of makefiles and in "Makefile.PL / ExtUtils::MakeMaker" is rather limited, so I need support.

/Bosse