Re: complex Makefile for a bootstrapped self-hosting translator [GCC MEL

From: Michael Ludwig
Subject: Re: complex Makefile for a bootstrapped self-hosting translator [GCC MELT] ?
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 22:44:45 +0100

Michael Ludwig schrieb am 14.01.2012 um 22:27 (+0100):
> Paul Smith schrieb am 09.01.2012 um 13:51 (-0500):

> > Even if you do need some builtin rules it's often better to remove
> > them all then add back the ones you want explicitly.
>
> .SUFFIXES:
> .SUFFIXES: .cpp .obj

Okay, ".obj" was nonsense, it would have been ".o". But I found out I
don't need the .cpp in .SUFFIXES, stuff builds just fine without it.

Here's why:

  Suffix rules are obsolete because pattern rules are more
  general and clearer. They are supported in GNU make for
  compatibility with old makefiles.

10.7 Old-Fashioned Suffix Rules
http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Suffix-Rules.html

--